Marjoram (Orīganum majorāna) - a plant with a distinctive taste, has received the approval of cooks on all continents. It decorates perfumery means with spicy aroma and willingly gives its useful qualities to a person.
Photo: Depositphotos.com. Author: ildi_papp.
Marjoram, the Arabs called "incomparable" (marijamie), received a more prosaic name in Europe - “sausage grass”. The special taste and smell of Bavarian sausages with the addition of spices served as an example for the widespread use of the plant in the preparation of sausage meat. Dry leaves of grass sniffed as tobacco, which, apart from sneezing, was supposed to "enlighten the mind and refresh the memory."
The representative of the family yasnotkovyh, marjoram has a spicy smell and spicy taste. The plant reaches a length of 40-50 cm. On numerous tetrahedral stems oppositely are oval leaves of small size. The whole ground part is covered with small villi, giving the plant a velvety look. The grass in the middle of summer blooms with white and pink flowers collected in false ears.
Perennials are found in the wild among the heat-loving representatives of the flora of Turkey, in northern Africa and the Mediterranean. In the conditions of severe winters, the plant is cultivated as an annual plant. It is commercially grown in India, Egypt, South America and the Middle East.
The nutritional value
In addition to the essential oil, the leaves of the herb contain proteins, fats, carbohydrates and vegetable fiber. The energy value of 100 g - 271 kcal.
Medicinal properties of the plant acquired due to the rich content:
- group B vitamins: B1, B2, B6, B12 and ascorbic acid,
- fat soluble vitamins: A, E, K,
- organic acids
- bitterness and tannins,
- trace elements: iron, copper, zinc, selenium, manganese,
- macronutrients: phosphorus, sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium.
The composition of a medicinal plant makes it universal to use with reduced immunity, low hemoglobin and vitamin deficiencies. The herb exhibits healing properties in diseases of the stomach, relieves pain and spasms. Improves digestion and appetite. It has a slight choleretic and laxative effect.
Apply marjoram for colds. Teas and inhalations have the ability to soften cough, improve sputum discharge and have an anti-inflammatory effect on the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. The plant treats rhinitis and inflammation of the paranasal sinuses in children and adults.
Ingestion in the form of tea from grass or with the addition of essential oil tones, relieves depression and irritability, relieves headaches, has a beneficial effect on the blood vessels of the brain and heart.
Replaces salt with a salt-free diet in people with diabetes and kidney disease.
Relaxing, warming and analgesic properties of marjoram oil are used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, sprains, myositis, bruises. Massage relieves swelling and pain in sports and domestic injuries.
The grass acts on the wound surfaces as an antimicrobial and wound healing agent.
The main application of marjoram found in cooking. As spicy seasoning, fresh leaves are used in salads, sauces, ketchups, cold snacks, and drinks.
In dry form, add to the first, vegetable, meat and fish dishes. During heat treatment, the taste and healthy qualities of spices are partially lost. Therefore, it is added at the end of cooking.
The spicy plant is used alone or mixed with other fragrant herbs for a wide range of dishes. The pronounced smell with a slight tinge of cardamom and bitter-spicy taste are well combined with aromas of nutmeg, bay leaf, black pepper. In the recipe, marjoram perfectly replaces oregano and gives pizza, pasta, lasagna unsurpassed taste.
Useful vinegar or oil mixtures with marjoram are prepared for salad dressing. A few leaves of the plant, added to vinegar or olive oil, 5-7 days after infusion give the dressing a delicate aroma and characteristic taste.
In the food industry, spice is involved in the preparation of sausages, cheeses, beer, and other alcoholic and refreshing beverages, is added to marinades in canning zucchini, squash, cucumbers and tomatoes.
In perfumery and cosmetology
The plant refreshes floral bouquets of toilet and perfume water, in harmony with the aromas of bergamot, chamomile, patchouli, roses and citrus oils.
As a cosmetic product, it shows useful qualities in strengthening the hair follicle, promotes hair growth, softens coarse skin.
With acne and enlarged pores, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of marjoram are used.
Marjoram is harmless to the body in reasonable dosages, but with excessive consumption causes headache and weakness.
Check the reaction is quite simple - apply a drop of oil on a small area of skin. A slight burning sensation is a normal reaction, and if there is no redness and itching, then there are no contraindications. You can safely use marjoram as a spice, therapeutic or cosmetic.
- children up to 5 years
- tendency to hypotension
- individual sensitivity to the essential oil and herb components.
Mode of application
Tea from dried and fresh marjoram is prepared at the rate of 1 tsp. raw materials for a glass of boiled water. After 5 minutes, you can drink the drink in small sips, but not more than 2 cups per day.
To prepare the ointment at home you will need pounded grass and wine spirit (1 tsp each). Mix the mixture for several hours, then mix with 1 tsp. butter, reheat in a water bath for 10 minutes, filter and cool.
Found use as rubbing, compresses, massage tools, inhalations, applications and internal use:
- Reception inside. With green tea in the amount of 2-3 drops per cup or a mixture of vegetable and marjoram oil on a piece of bread (2 drops each).
- Cream for rubbing and massage. In 10 g of the base, add, according to the purpose, 6-10 drops of oil, mix.
- Inhalation. In a container of hot water pour 2-3 drops of oil. Duration of the procedure: up to 5 minutes.
- Applications. An effective remedy that softens rough skin and calluses, is prepared by mixing marjoram and olive oil (5 drops each). Apply on problem areas of skin and calluses, which are easily removed after several procedures.
Collecting and harvesting
They come at the beginning of summer, when the plant is just entering the flowering phase. Bundled grass is dried under a canopy or in a ventilated room. Dry leaves are stored in paper bags for storage.
For 3 years, marjoram will not lose its useful qualities and can be used for external and internal use.
Oil from green or dry mass is obtained by the method of water-steam distillation, preserving the healing properties of the plant. Store in tightly closed bottles of dark glass in places protected from direct sunlight.
The composition of marjoram
The elevated part of the marjoram contains a lot of essential oils - about 3.5%, due to which its aroma is somewhat reminiscent of both thyme and cardamom. Most of all in the essential oil is terpenes. Esters also contain tannins, phenolic compounds, pinene and borneol.
A huge amount of nutrients accumulates spice during flowering.
Marjoram is a unique herb. She was not only loved by cooks, but also by insects. Spreading a pleasant scent, it attracts bees for pollination.
Seasoning is rich in:
- water soluble vitamins (C and B),
- organic acids
- fat soluble vitamin substances (retinol, vitamin K, tocopherols),
- bitter and tannins,
- trace elements: iron, salts of copper and zinc, selenium compounds, manganese,
- macronutrients: sodium and potassium salts, phosphorus compounds, calcium, magnesium.
It should also be remembered that in 100 g of spices contains only 227 kcal. At the same time carbohydrates in marjoram 4 g, fat 7 g, sodium - only 0.08 g.
Useful properties of marjoram and contraindications to use
The useful properties of marjoram were discovered and used by the ancient Greeks. They noticed that eating the leaves of the plant promotes good digestion of high-fat foods and helps get rid of heartburn and belching. Legionnaires used marjoram to raise morale to ensure a surge of strength and vigor.
Not only fresh and dried marjoram leaves have been applied. A valuable oil is extracted from the plant, which relieves headaches, migraines, has a positive effect on the nervous system, and cures colds. Due to the pleasant aroma, the fatty component of the plant is included in perfume compositions.
The healing plant takes pride of place with phytotherapists. It is used to treat many ailments, namely when:
It is also an effective remedy for severe headaches and menstrual cramps. The herb is used to eliminate puffiness as a diuretic drug. It helps with depression and diabetes. Due to its bactericidal properties, it relieves abscesses and reduces inflammation in the oral cavity.
It is forbidden to use marjoram during pregnancy.
In the correct, reasonable dosage, marjoram does not cause harm, only benefits. If the funds with the plant used in excess amounts, it can provoke headaches.
It is not recommended to use marjoram:
Before starting treatment with grass, you need to test for allergies. To do this, apply one drop of fat on the skin and wait for about 15 minutes. If there are no negative manifestations (itching, redness), then marjoram is well tolerated. A slight burning sensation is a natural reaction to essential oils, and you should not be afraid of them.
Herb marjoram: application in cosmetology, dentistry
The plant due to the content of various acids is an excellent bactericidal agent. It enhances immunity and acts as a prophylactic product against malignant tumors. It will require dried spicy grass foliage. To prepare a healing infusion, you need 1 tbsp. l Pour 250 ml of boiling water. To sustain a mixture literally 5 minutes and strain. This infusion is necessary to drink 1-2 times during the day.
The use of herb marjoram in cosmetology
Marjoram does not accidentally belong to the genus Oregano, it is really fragrant due to the high concentration of oils. Therefore, fresh plant and extracts, as well as pure oil, are common in cosmetology. It is added to cosmetic compositions for hair care, creams and skin lotions.
For moisturizing the skin of the hands, the perfect option are baths. To prepare the broth, add 2 tbsp of boiling water per liter. l dried, chopped stalks and marjoram leaves. To sustain a mixture for 30 minutes. This time will be enough for the water to be saturated with all the beneficial substances. Then strain the infusion. In the finished liquid, hold hands for 15-20 minutes.
The plant is also used in dentistry. If you regularly drink tea made from marjoram, you can significantly strengthen the tooth enamel. Also, oils that are in the composition protect their surface from darkening.
If you give a decoction to the children while their teeth are forming, they will grow even and strong. Infusion also has an anti-inflammatory effect on the gums. To prepare the rinse, you will need to take 30 g of dried plants and 1 liter of boiling water. All connect and insist 20 minutes. Then strain and rinse the oral cavity.
Motorists and those who work with mechanisms need to be careful with the use of marjoram: the plant causes drowsiness, weakens vigilance.
Seasoning marjoram has an anesthetic effect on the teeth, for which it is also valued in dentistry. Just a couple of leaves of the plant will help relieve inflammation, reduce pain.
Use of marjoram in cooking
Spicy plant with a pleasant aroma and taste is added to dishes in different countries. This plant is most revered in France. Add seasoning to meat, fish and soups. Marjoram flavored sauces and salads. Popular spice in sausage production and winemaking.
Before using marjoram, remember that they can be replaced by oregano.
Marjoram is a healthy and tasty plant. With proper admission, you can achieve the desired result. The main thing is not to abuse them, especially people who are prone to sudden fluctuations in pressure.
Distinctive features and beneficial properties
Greens valued for taste and a variety of beneficial properties. From the leaves, fruits and flowering tops of a plant rich in terpineols, linalool and sabinene hydrates get marjoram oil.
In addition to the essential oil, the plant contains vitamins:
- groups B (1, 2, 6, 12),
- fat soluble vitamins: A, E, K,
- carotene provitamin A (carrot use for women),
And what do you know about the beneficial properties and contraindications of colza? The treatment of diseases by folk methods is described in the current article.
Read about the healing properties of celery for the human body on this page.
Due to the high content of vitamin C, in antiquity, the plant was used to treat scurvy.
The composition of the leaves and stems of the plant include substances such as:
Marjoram knowingly became part of many therapeutic diets. Spice may well replace salt, so marjoram is advised to use for those who, for medical reasons, need a salt-free diet:
- diabetics (therapeutic properties of flax seeds in diabetes mellitus),
- people with kidney disease
- obese (about the benefits of radishes for weight loss is written here).
In folk medicine
Due to the medicinal properties of herbs and marjoram oil, the plant has become popular in traditional medicine. The universal composition allows you to use it for the treatment of diseases and normalization of the emotional state.
Do you know about the benefits and harm of apricot? What kind of healing properties for the human body have fruits and leaves written in a useful article.
How to strengthen hair from falling out of folk remedies, read here.
Marjoram oil has soothing properties and is used:
- with headaches
- nervous disorders
- removes the alarm
- help get rid of depression and irritability.
Oil is recommended for hyperactive children and people suffering from insomnia.
A warm bath with a few drops of marjoram and lavender oil relaxes and soothes.
Instead of lavender, you can use bath foam or 50 grams of salt. Fatigue and aggression will remove the soothing aroma of marjoram oil, sprayed indoors with the help of aroma lamps.
Marjoram is considered an effective remedy for diseases of the stomach (about the popular methods of treating ulcers written in this article), relieves pain and cramps, so it is used for stomach cramps, flatulence.
It has a beneficial effect on digestion: improves the appetite, when it is taken in, food is better absorbed, has a choleretic effect (how to make a gallbladder tubage properly).
Those who want to lose weight can also pay attention to this plant:
- marjoram has a laxative property (read about medicinal properties of plantain seeds here),
- removes toxins and slags.
It also has an astringent effect - decoctions are used for diarrhea.
Teas, decoctions made from plants, help children and adults with colds and rhinitis. Adults are recommended for prolonged sinusitis, for a few minutes to lay in the nasal passages cotton balls moistened with a few drops of oil.
Marjoram improves sputum discharge, with a strong dry cough use inhalation.
The plant helps with various inflammations:
Broth grass rinse your mouth with bleeding gums.
In India, the plant is used as a pain killer home remedy for toothache.
Marjoram has a healing effect, is applied to wounds and bruises.
It has a diuretic effect and can be used as a prevention of diseases of the urinary system.
Helps with pains in muscles and joints (recipe bay leaf), relieves swelling and pain in bruises, sports injuries.
Due to its relaxing and analgesic properties, the plant is effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis, sprains, ligaments.
Essential oil of the plant, decoctions and ointment based on it is used as lotions, rubbing, for massage.
Herbal teas normalize the menstrual cycle in women.
Marjoram helps to get rid of corns and corns.
It is necessary to mix 5 drops of marjoram and olive oil, and apply on problem areas.
The result will be visible after a few procedures.
Application in cosmetology
Plant oil nourishes, moisturizes the skin of the hands - a few drops of oil can be added to a regular cream.
To reduce facial wrinkles (how to remove deep wrinkles on the forehead), it is recommended to apply compresses from the decoction of the plant.
Broth is used to improve hair growth.
The oil can be used as a preventive measure for skin inflammation. Мазь, в состав которой входит майоран, лечит угревую сыпь.
Помимо полезных свойств майоран имеет противопоказания.
Due to the pronounced aroma, the plant should be used with caution by allergies and while driving.
Not recommended for children under 5 years of age.
Contraindications to use are:
- individual intolerance,
- pregnancy, lactation,
- diagnoses: vein thrombosis and thrombophlebitis.
Important! If marjoram is consumed for a long time, side effects can occur in the form of headaches and a depressed state. Observe the measure.
The plant is actively used in folk medicine, cosmetology in the form of decoctions, ointments, inhalations.
Marjoram essential oil is added in the following approximate dosage:
- for a bath no more than 6 drops are used,
- for aromalampy - 3-5,
- up to 8 drops are mixed with 10 ml of cosmetic,
- 2-3 drops will be needed for inhalation.
Tea brewed from fresh leaves and dried plants.
Teaspoon brew a glass of boiling water.
The drink can be drunk after five minutes, but not more than 2 cups per day, so as not to harm the body.
Also made infusion, only raw materials are taken 2 teaspoons.
Consumed infusion 3 times a day after meals.
To prepare the ointment At home, a spoonful of dry marjoram must be carefully ground and poured with a teaspoon of wine spirit.
Mixture to infuse for several hours.
Then add a teaspoon of butter and put in a water bath for 10 minutes.
Strain and cool mixture.
RememberThat such ointment is stored not for long.
For inhalation Apply 2-3 drops of oil, adding to a container with hot water. The procedure should be no more than 5 minutes.
To cook the gruel, which is applied to the site of injury, 5 tablespoons need to pour 1.5 tbsp. vegetable oil and boil for 20 minutes.
Apply gruel from marjoram garden herb to bruises.
Fragrant spice in cooking
Residents of North America, Central Europe have long been familiar with fragrant spice. It is actively used as a seasoning in cooking.
It is found in the Caucasus and in the southern regions of Russia. In the Middle East, marjoram is usually consumed in combination with salt and sesame.
It is interesting! Arabs called marjoram "incomparable", and in Europe - "sausage grass". Spice used in the preparation of sausage meat.
And nowadays, spice as an aromatic additive in wine, beer, soft drinks, confectionery, sausages, for flavoring vinegar, tea, coffee.
Fresh leaves are added to salads, cold appetizers.
Dry spice seasoned soups, all kinds of meat dishes.
Spice is combined with bay leaf, black pepper, thyme, therefore it is often included in the composition of fragrant seasonings.
As a preservative, they are added to marinades, sauerkraut, used in the preparation of dried meat and smoked fish.
Collection and storage
The grass is harvested at the beginning of summer, before flowering. The cut plant is collected in small bunches and dried in a ventilated room.
Only leaves are stored. They need to be torn off and folded in paper bags or glass jars. Spice must be kept away from light.
Marjoram can be stored for future use, it will not lose useful properties for three years.
Due to its beneficial properties, marjoram is used both as a medicinal plant and as a universal seasoning.
For details on using marjoram as a spice in cooking, look in the video.
Useful properties and contraindications
The plant has many beneficial properties, for example:
- Treats diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract,
- Beneficial effect on the central nervous system, relieves stress, fights overwork and chronic fatigue,
- It is used in the treatment of many diseases of the female reproductive system,
- It has wound healing properties. Used for external use during the treatment of boils, boils, trophic ulcers, difficult to heal wounds.
However, it has contraindications. Before starting treatment with this medicinal plant, the following should be kept in mind:
- Due to strong peculiar smell, it can cause an allergic reaction. It can not be used by those who are prone to allergies.
- The plant is contraindicated in pregnant women. Due to the strong smell of marjoram can cause dizziness or provoke an attack of severe toxemia,
- The plant has a relaxing effect and can cause pronounced drowsiness in some people, so the use is contraindicated for those who are driving,
- Children under five should not be treated with marjoram either, because it can cause individual intolerance,
- From its use can dramatically reduce the pressure, so you should not use it to those who are prone to hypotension,
- Frequent use of this herb thickens the blood and contributes to the formation of blood clots, so this plant is contraindicated for those who have a tendency to thrombosis.
If there are no contraindications, you can safely proceed to treatment. It should be borne in mind that to achieve the desired effect is possible only in the case of systematic treatment. There will be no exact results from a single or double application of medications based on a plant. However, this rule applies not only to marjoram, but also to any medicinal plants.
Medicinal herb is not an antibiotic that can cure any disease in three days. Here you need to be treated for a long time, from two weeks to several months, but the results will be excellent. In any case, the use of medicinal herbs is preferable to treatment with antibiotics, because medicinal plants, unlike tablets, do not cause dysbacteriosis and do not undermine the immune system.
Effect on the female body
This herb is traditionally used in folk medicine in the treatment of various female diseases. Regular consumption or regular use of drugs based on it contributes to:
- Normalization of the menstrual cycle,
- Restoration of the reproductive system,
- Treatment of inflammatory processes
- Reducing the painful manifestations of menopause.
Since ancient times, folk healers have known that marjoram is a strong aphrodisiac, that is, a substance that stimulates sexual desire. Regular consumption of marjoram has a positive effect on the woman's body, gives beauty, youth, attractiveness. This medicinal herb strengthens the female body and slows its aging. However, breastfeeding women should not use it, because they may change the taste of breast milk, and the baby will refuse breastfeeding. Nursing women are contraindicated in any spices.
Many gynecologists say that marjoram helps to improve the work of the female body and can be used to prevent fungal and bacterial diseases. The use of this medicinal herb increases the ability of a woman to conceive a child.
The ancient Greeks had an interesting legend. She said that marjoram has its flavor is not just. Aphrodite, the goddess of love, allegedly touched the plant itself.
The first written mention of marjoram dated 1550th year BC. Egyptian medical papyrus contain hundreds of recipes using this plant. It was even used in embalming. Marjoram came to Europe much later, but already in the 17th century it grew in almost every yard throughout England.
Many nations of the world love this spice and are actively used during cooking. Without it, it is generally difficult to imagine the famous Mediterranean cuisine. Since ancient times, marjoram was added to various dishes and resorted to its healing properties. For example, the soldiers from ancient Greece, he added a militant attitude and courage. Sly women added it to wine to their gentlemen to strengthen love. And our narrow-minded ancestors knew about the antiseptic, tonic, sedative, expectorant and anti-catarrh features of marjoram. Dry leaves of this plant can replace snuff, but they will not harm the body at all.
List of useful properties of marjoram
In cooking, marjoram is used as a spice for a reason. In addition to the amazing aroma that it gives us, marjoram performs other functions, such as:
- elimination of intestinal spasms,
- arousal appetite
- improved digestion
- improvement of the liver and gallbladder.
This herb occupies a special place in traditional medicine:
- Diseases of the respiratory system, depression, insomnia, asthma, headache - for the treatment of this list of diseases, you can use marjoram.
- It is also a very effective antiscorbetic, choleretic and gastric remedy.
- Marjoram boosts immunity and hemoglobin level in the blood.
- With it, the inflammatory processes in the oral cavity go away, and the bleeding of the gums disappears.
- For kidney disease, doctors recommend a salt-free diet, in which you just can not do without marjoram.
- This spice is very useful for those who have recently had a heart attack or are suffering from diabetes.
- Will help marjoram and inflammatory processes in the bladder.
Those who are interested in mysticism should have heard about the magical properties of this plant. Few rituals did without marjoram in pagan times. It was used as a gift to the gods and burned on the sacrificial altar. Any magician or healer always had a marjoram with him.
There is a belief that if you put a branch of marjoram in each room, then no evil forces can sneak into your home. Superstitious people infusion of plants sprinkle their things to protect themselves from the evil eye and evil influence.
Fact! The aroma of marjoram has a special effect on humans. It helps to find peace and eliminates energy stagnation.
The Egyptians gave bouquets of marjoram to show their admiration and love to relatives, friends, colleagues. The Romans knew that this is a powerful aphrodisiac, evoking feelings.
Marjoram boasts a high level of phytoncides in its composition. These elements are known to be fighters against bacteria. Infusions of marjoram herb will be a good protector even against the infection that causes malaria.
Probably each of us would like to keep a sober mind to the deepest old age. It is hard to believe, but the same marjoram is capable of making such a wish come true. This herb is able to maintain mental activity at a high level and prevents the development of Alzheimer's disease.
Marjoram is also useful for people who suffer from high blood pressure. The fact is that it helps to increase the amount of urination and remove excess fluid from the body in a natural way. At the same time, it does not have such a negative effect on the body as drugs that perform this function. However, in this case it is worth warning that infusions from marjoram should not be abused so as not to provoke dehydration.
Marjoram in cooking
If you are a fan of heavy food, that is, pork, fried chicken legs, various sausages and sausages, there should always be marjoram stocks in your kitchen. The fact is that this spice greatly facilitates the digestion of these dishes. Marjoram works very well in various sauces as a seasoning for fried potatoes, stewed beans or cabbage. Some gourmets even add it to compote and jelly.
In order not to spoil your dish, you need to remember that marjoram is not always combined with other spices. It should be mixed with rosemary, basil and thyme.
When is marjoram contraindicated?
In reasonable doses, this plant never causes harm to the human body. However, if you consume marjoram, not knowing the measures, you can face certain problems, in particular, there may be a weakness and a slight headache. Do not get involved in marjoram oil for pregnant women and children under 5 years old. Not the fact that there will be some disturbing symptoms, but better not risk the health of the future offspring. Do not add marjoram to your child’s food, despite its beneficial properties, the reaction of an immature organism can be unpredictable.
Individual sensitivity is also possible, although it does not occur often. Finding if you are allergic to marjoram is pretty easy. We take a fresh leaf of this plant and rub it with an elbow fold. Check the reaction in half an hour. If you have a rash or any irritation, then marjoram is contraindicated to you. Also, they are not advised to abuse people who suffer from low blood pressure.
- Tea from marjoram. This spicy drink is very easy to prepare, and the child will cope with this task. You can use both dry marjoram and its fresh raw materials in this recipe. For 300 milliliters of water you need about 20 grams of leaves. Boil them with boiling water and leave the liquid to infuse under the lid for a few minutes. Abuse such tea is not worth it. Drink it no more than 1-2 times a week.
- Ointment from marjoram. For the preparation we need only wine alcohol, butter and fresh crushed marjoram. The ratio of all ingredients - one to one. Mix marjoram and alcohol. Now add some quality butter and put the container in the water bath. Literally in 15 minutes you will have an excellent healing remedy for burns and other kinds of wounds. It should be stored in the refrigerator.
- Hypertension and insomnia. Three drops of marjoram oil are added to a teaspoon of honey. Drink three times a day. This recipe is also suitable for those suffering from stomach cramps.
- Cold. Often, viral diseases are accompanied by coughing. Marjoram is actively used in inhalation, because it provokes a good sputum discharge. Many people cured them even chronic bronchitis. Add a few drops of marjoram oil to a deep dish with hot water and breathe steam for about five minutes. If you have a nebulizer, then this method will be even more effective.
- Runny nose Another unpleasant symptom of viral diseases. To get rid of it, take 1 teaspoon of marjoram herb and grind it to a state of powder. Fill with 1 teaspoon of wine alcohol and add the same amount of butter. The resulting mixture is sent for 10 minutes in a water bath. We filter, cool, smear the nose inside and out with it.
- Corns. 5 drops of marjoram oil mix with 3 drops of almond oil. It is this mixture and will be applied to the corn. After their softening, the ointment is removed, but this should be done carefully.
- Diarrhea and intestinal cramps. Pour one tablespoon of marjoram herb with a glass of boiling water and leave for some time. Drink several times a day. This infusion can be used even by children.
- Cancer prevention and immunity strengthening. A quarter of a liter of boiling water pour a tablespoon of marjoram herb. Insist 5 minutes, tsed. The resulting liquid should be drunk slowly. The recommended dose is 1-2 cups per day.
- Increased gas formation. In this case, we will need marjoram seeds in the amount of 2 tablespoons. Fill them with a glass of boiling water and leave to infuse. The resulting decoction should be taken before meals several times a day. It relaxes the abdominal muscles of the person and thus prevents the formation of an excessive amount of gas bubbles. Such a decoction is very good for bloating, nausea, indigestion.
Marjoram - what it is, description and composition
Marjoram grows throughout the Arabian Peninsula, in Central Asia, North Africa, Europe and the Mediterranean. Widely used as a spice. It has a burning, sweetish aroma, like thyme and cardamom.
The above-ground part of the plant contains up to 1.5% of essential oil when fresh, and up to 3.5% in the dried one. The specific taste and aroma of seasoning is determined by the content of camphor oil, terpinene, sabinene, pinene borneol and phenol. But the full composition of the aromatic component has not yet been disclosed.
In seasoning a lot of routine, carotene and ascorbic acid. The aboveground part of the plant is rich in tannins, pectin and pentosans.
- For culinary needs, the grass is more often dried, but also used fresh. Dried plant is part of the complex spices.
- From the fresh marjoram prepare healing potions.
- The oil is produced industrially through the aqueous distillation of the flowering tops of the plant.
Useful properties of marjoram for humans
Traditional medicine uses seasoning in the form of decoctions, tinctures, teas and ointments. Marjoram oil is used in aromatherapy, it is added to baths and cosmetics.
- The subtle aroma of spice whets the appetite. It promotes digestion, cures flatulence and colic, stimulates intestinal peristalsis.
- The herb has a weak diuretic effect. In folk medicine, it is used in diseases of the kidneys.
- Its aroma soothes, because marjoram is useful to take for insomnia. They even treat neurasthenia.
- Masyuna-based scented herbs grease dislocations, sprains, places affected by neuralgia and rheumatism. The tool has anti-inflammatory and warming effect, stimulates blood flow to the sore spot.
- Lotions with marjoram impose on the stomach with painful menstruation.
- Herb marjoram helps with bronchial asthma and lung diseases. Облегчает откашливание, останавливает аллергический и простудный насморк.
Области применения приправы
Основные области применения травы – кулинария и косметология. Для приготовления блюд чаще используется сухая приправа. Ее вкус более концентрированный, так как в ней содержится повышенное количество эфирного масла. In cosmetology, the volatile component is most in demand.
Use in cooking
- Marjoram is considered the best spice for cooking sausages.
- Vegetable stews with beans and peas are cooked with it.
- It is combined with hearty and fatty dishes, for example, with fried potatoes.
- With this spice preparing pasta sauces.
- Seasoning marjoram is added to soups.
- Leaf powder is used in conservation.
- It is included in pepper mixtures.
- It is added to liqueurs, liqueurs, confectionery.
Seasoning is included in mixtures called "Provencal herbs." It is popular all over the world, but is more commonly used in Mediterranean cuisine and in the Caucasus.
It is necessary to add grass drop by drop to the very curtain of cooking. With a long languor, it loses its delicate aroma and begins to taste bitter.
In perfumery and cosmetology
Marjoram is added to cosmetics in the form of an essential oil.
Behind him were the following abilities:
- regeneration acceleration,
- stimulation of capillary blood supply,
- removal of edema,
From cosmetic oils (olive, sea buckthorn, burdock, peach) it is useful to make hair masks, enriching the nutrient mixture with a small amount of volatile marjoram extract. It will stimulate blood supply, accelerate growth and prevent hair loss.
Marjoram Herb Tea
Healing tea has a sedative effect. It is able to lower pressure, whet the appetite, improve digestion, relieve colic and intestinal pain.
Tea is brewed to improve the work of the kidneys, liver and gallbladder. I drink it as an expectorant and sudorific. The drink has hemostatic properties, soothes pain and reduces inflammation.
Marjoram tea is used to treat depression, neurasthenia and anemia.
To get a drink, you need:
- pour 30 g of vegetable powder into a glass dish,
- pour raw materials with a liter of hot water,
- insist for 15 minutes
- cool, strain.
The broth is drunk in small sips over a whole cup before meals 1 - 2 times a day. Dry herb for making a drink can be bought in the spice department at the grocery store.
Help with losing weight
Marjoram helps in the fight against obesity. It increases the digestibility of fatty and heavy dishes. They can replace the salt during the diet, which will reduce the accumulation of excess fluid.
Grass helps the intestines to digest food, improves its permeability and treats constipation. And as you know, debugging digestion - this is the first step to finding a slim figure.
What can replace marjoram
Similar in flavor to marjoram are the spices:
These herbs are related in origin and are considered interchangeable.
Most spices have healing powers. Seasoned food becomes tastier and better digested. Using spices, we not only add color to our life, but enrich the body with useful elements.
Marjoram oil: properties, application
“The grass of happiness”, “the joy of the mountains”, a means of prolonging youth and giving health - the ancients knew a lot about natural medicine.
Of course, this is an essential oil of marjoram that can relieve headaches, heal wounds, relieve pain in the stomach and even give the dish a refined and unique taste.
From my article you will learn what properties this ether has and how to use it correctly in order to get maximum benefit.
Marjoram essential oil is extracted by steam distillation from the flowers and leaves of marjoram oregano or, simply put, marjoram. It is during the flowering period, from July to August that the concentration of oil is greatest and, of fresh greens, its yield is 4 ml of 1 kg of raw material.
Today the geography of this plant is very extensive: from Central and Eastern Europe to Morocco and Tunisia, and production has been established in many countries.
References to the use of marjoram are found in ancient treatises telling about the treatment of many diseases. The doctors of antiquity and ancient Egypt treated this grass with silver leaves with great piety, considering it to be an excellent tonic and liberating remedy, curing wounds and paralyzes.
Why did the ancients so appreciate the marjoram oregano? Today we can also join the healing properties of this plant, of which there are many!
Useful properties of marjoram essential oil
Therapeutic effect of oil on the body
- Relieves nausea, relieves stomach cramps, colic.
- Eliminates inflammation of the nasopharynx, helps get rid of sinusitis, rhinitis.
- Removes chills.
- It has a choleretic effect.
- Helps dilution of sputum - a good expectorant.
- Relieves joint and muscle aches - indispensable for arthritis, sprains, cramps.
- It has a detox effect.
- Expands blood vessels, helping to improve blood circulation and eliminate headaches.
- Indispensable for tachycardia and the need to normalize blood pressure.
- Relieves pain in menstrual pain.
- It has a pronounced anti-stress effect, relieves chronic mental and physical fatigue.
- Improves sleep quality.
- Keeps balance in the nervous system.
- Reduces the risk of cancer.
- Normalizes digestion and relieves heaviness in the stomach.
- Removes excess water from the body.
Use of marjoram oil for cosmetic purposes
- Removes puffiness.
- Able to clean the skin from warts and natoptyshey.
- It has a pronounced anti-aging effect.
As you can see, marjoram oil is a real storehouse of useful properties, which makes it an indispensable tool in the home medicine chest. In an emergency, he will replace everything - from the burden to the mezim, and return the attractiveness to the face!
Here we come to the application of this miracle remedy.
Marjoram essential oil in home medicine
For digestive disorders, colic
Add ether to herbal tea.
- In 1 tsp. To the spoon of honey we part 2 drops of oil and we dilute all with a glass of warm grass broth, not hotter than 60 ° С.
- Honey is needed to dissolve the oil, without it, the ether will remain on the surface of the water film. Instead, you can take propolis.
- We drink a little bit in small sips.
If you are allergic to bee products, replace them with a slice of bread or a small rusk. We drop on a piece a couple of drops of vegetable oil and the same amount of ether, we roll up the “bread capsule” and eat.
The main thing is that the ether enters the body in a “diluted” state.
We use in the morning or in the evening on an empty stomach.
Marjoram essential oil for headache
It is possible, as described above, to add to hot water with honey, if desired, you can flavor it with a slice of lemon, or you can rub a couple of droplets in your fingers and walk along the temples, along the hairline, affecting the frontal lobe or massage the back of the head.
The main thing is to give yourself at least 5 - 10 minutes of peace, silence and relaxation for the therapy to work.
Use oil for a cold
Of course, the most effective means are hot and cold inhalations.
Since the essential oil is very volatile, under the influence of steam, it immediately penetrates into the respiratory tract, where it has a bactericidal effect, relieves edema and heals.
Recipe for use number 1
Add 5 - 7 drops of marjoram per liter of hot water and, having covered, breathe for 10 minutes. In this case, it is not necessary to dilute the ether with any base - it will fulfill its functions and, being on the surface of the water.
Recipe number 2
Into the capacity of the inhaler we drop 2-3 drops of marjoram oil and also breathe about 10 minutes.
Recipe for use number 3
If you are not a fan of inhalations, but you still want to get rid of the cold, rub the nose and the places of the maxillary sinuses with a mixture of base oil (apricot seed, peach, olive) and ether.
- We part in proportion 2 drops of marjoram on 1 tsp. base.
In combination with massage, the effect will not be slow to appear.
Essential oil for arthritis
Use case number 1: enrichment with marjoram oil cream, ointment
Enough to enrich the usual cream or make your own, adding marjoram to it to get healing ointment.
The basis can be any uncomplicated cream, for example, children, or base oil, or butter - this is a thick or solid oil (shea, coconut, cocoa).
- Cream or liquid oil is enough to enrich with ether at the rate of 10 drops per 10 ml of base and mix thoroughly, butter must first be melted in a water bath, not boiling and then add marjoram.
- Pour into a separate small jar with a lid and wait until it cools, becoming solid again.
Despite the apparent complexity, it is easy to do, and the result is worth it.
As you can see, the concentration is quite high, so you should apply ointment only on aching areas. It can be rubbed 1 - 2 times a day.
Use case number 2: compresses
Those who do not want to mess around, we offer a faster, but no less effective way to alleviate joint pain.
- We moisten a thin clean cotton rag with warm water, fold in several layers and apply 5-6 drops of marjoram over the whole area.
- Cover it at the edges so that the air is sold and then apply to the damaged place. From above we wrap a plastic bag and cover with a handkerchief.
- Keep the compress for at least 1.5 hours.
In the same way we do and oil compress. We moisten the cloth 1 tbsp. warm olive oil and distribute marjoram ether over it.
Plus oil compress is that it has a stronger warming effect.
Marjoram oil for muscle pain
A massage would be ideal - it will improve blood circulation, and marjoram will provide analgesic and antispasmodic action.
- Add to 1 tbsp. base oil 6 drops of ether, mix and make a neat massage whining area.
- After the session, be sure to cover the place with a sheet, allowing it to rest and cool.
Use in tachycardia and to normalize blood circulation
Use case number 1: bath
We take not hot baths.
- To do this, we gather water, the temperature of which is not higher than 42 - 45 degrees - this is important in order not to overheat the body.
- Bred in 1 tsp Honey 10 - 11 drops of ether and dissolve everything in water. Honey again acts as a binder.
You can replace honey with soda - you will also need 1 tsp. Ether will disperse in it.
Use case number 2: aroma lamp
- Pour warm or hot water into the container of the oil burner and add 5-6 drops of marjoram oil.
This amount is enough for aromatization for therapeutic purposes of the premises of 10²m.
Now that we already know the main methods of using marjoram essential oil, we turn to the possibilities of using it for cosmetic purposes.
Marjoram essential oil in home cosmetology
To soften rough skin, remove dry corns
We make on the damaged areas of application.
We wet a cotton pad with 3 drops of base oil and 4-5 ether. It turns out quite a concentrated composition, so we make sure that only the desired area is processed.
We hold the application for about an hour, then remove, remove the softened skin and lubricate with a moisturizer.
To remove warts and papillomas
Lubricate the wart with a cotton swab dipped in pure essential oil. A slight tingling or burning sensation may be felt during the procedure - this is normal.
Repeat once a day for a week.
To eliminate wrinkles
Prepare a very simple, but extremely effective anti-aging cream with your own hands.
We take shea butter (karite) as a basis - it is very gentle and can be used for the face undiluted.
- Melt 1 tbsp. in a water bath and interfere with it also 1 tbsp. quality green tea (by weight) without fragrances.
- Leaving the jar in a water bath, cover it with a lid and hold for 30 minutes - let the antioxidants of tea extracted into the oil. Over time, filter the shea butter through several layers of gauze.
- Squeeze and add 5 - 6 drops of essential oil of marjoram, mix and leave to harden at room temperature.
Keep this cream in the refrigerator and use it for thin skin around the eyes or on the whole face, if we apply it before bedtime.
- Mix 1 tbsp. oatmeal (you can make it, just grinding in the mill or blender oatmeal), 1 tbsp. olive or other base oil and 6 drops of marjoram ether.
- Apply on clean skin with a thick layer and leave for 15 - 20 minutes.
It is very effective and especially good for those who do not want to apply additional funds after the mask.
- In 1 tbsp. warm base oil add 5-6 drops of ether.
- We moisten with a mixture of clean, ironed cloth or folded gauze and impose on the face.
- We keep 15 - 20 minutes, providing ourselves not only anti-aging, but also aromatherapy care.
Remove and either remove the excess with a cotton pad, or rub the remaining oil mixture into the skin.
It is necessary to use aromamasks and compresses only for the night!